eISSN : 2146-9369
Creative Commons Lisansı
Journal of Clinical and Experimental Investigations is licenced under the terms of Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0) License.
Abstract - Upsurging Paratyphoid Fever in a Southern Indian Hospital
Chaitra Govardhan, Christi Dominic Savio, Susan Verghese

Upsurging Paratyphoid Fever: A Study from Southern India

Chaitra Govardhan1, Christi Dominic Savio1, Susan Verghese2

 

1Department of Pediatrics, Church of South India Hospital, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India

2Department of Microbiology, Church of South India Hospital, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India

 

ABSTRACT

Objectives: Enteric fever is still a major public health problem in an endemic country like India. Studies project that Salmonella Typhi is the most common cause in the pediatric population but with a recent rising trend in the number of cases due to Salmonella Paratyphi A with increased morbidity and mortality.

Methods: A retrospective analysis of children who had been infected with laboratory-confirmed Salmonella serotypes of Typhi or Paratyphi A collected from November 2016 to October 2018, isolates underwent serotype confirmation, antimicrobial susceptibility testing.

Results: A total of 29 isolates of Salmonella species were studied, which revealed an emergence of Salmonella Paratyphi A as predominant serotype accounting for 55.2% (16) cases with remaining 44.8% (13) cases being Salmonella Typhi.

Conclusions: Physicians should be aware of the increasing incidence of infection due to Salmonella Paratyphi A and treatment options given its widespread antimicrobial resistance. A paratyphoid fever vaccine is urgently needed. Continued surveillance for paratyphoid fever will help guide future prevention and treatment recommendations. J Microbiol Infect Dis 2020; 10(1):18-23.

Keywords: Salmonella Paratyphi A, Enteric fever, Drug resistance, Rising trend

Volume 10, Number 01 (2020)